Thursday, November 1, 2007

Think 23 Summary

My favorite discovery and exercise was using "meez" to create an animated gif (Thing 10).This magical computer game reminded me of the colorforms of childhood.
Working on these 23 Things has opened my eyes to a vision of computers as "fun" and not just work-related drudgery. It's surprising, but I'm looking forward to continuing to learn new technology and eventually to use my MP3 player.These are unexpected outcomes from an older woman who has difficulty understanding technology.
Many library staffers learn most effectively when working with another person. Learning might be better retained if two person teams were formally assigned and given a schedule of meeting times and dates. These partners could share and teach each other. Currently, the above vision is not happening. Most libraries are too busy and too short-staffed for tech people to answer more than a simple question from a novice.
I would choose not to participate in another similar program because completing this program required so much time. The result is neglected projects and being behind in other areas.
Learning by myself and self-directed learning can be successful if visual and verbal images are combined with input from real people. The best learning tool for me in this package was the tutorial by NetLibrary combining photos of catalog screens with audio explanations.

No comments: